sexta-feira, 28 de agosto de 2015

Child labour in sugarcane

Can we judge based on the photo?
28th August 2015





The photo above was taken on last December 2014, during my visit to sugarcane farmers in India. In a simplified western glance, or from my Brazilian perspective I was petrified when I saw 2 kids joining the sugarcane harvesting. In my 15 years working with agriculture I had never seem child labour… maybe that is because you haven’t searched enough! Some would say.

Ok, in some sense I agree, but even after that, I am not quite sure if I could change my statement, and still “I haven’t seem child labour”. In fact I didn’t see they working, they were waiting there, near their moms, some feet away from home.

But they shouldn’t be there anyway, it is dangerous! Yes I agree…
They should be in school! Yes they should, and maybe they are registered in another period, but I couldn't  find out…
What were they doing there? I don’t know, maybe just watching their moms and daddy working, instead of watching tv..

Anyway, I was the stranger using my Brazilian glasses; maybe I wasn’t able to see beyond the picture…

Bye for now!
Daniel Lobo

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário